Friday, June 26, 2009

CHAOS in the Farmyard!

We've lived here for 7 years, and had never had this problem! Until now-Raccoons! I used to think they were so cute, animated, silly... I now know the truth! They are ruthless killers! Over about a weeks time, one or more have killed 25 birds! It took a few dead chickens to figure it out. We thought, maybe they're too crowded, or picking on each other due to the heat? Then I really started looking around, and it all added up: broken bones, entrails pulled out, missing heads, feet etc. I also found bits and pieces on the other side of the pen.
The night before last was the worst. At first, it was just a chicken here or there, one a night or so, then we started finding several each morning, the the last straw was my oldest coming in and asking if I had seen the little gosling. I asked him to "dispose" of it before anyone else saw it and got hysterical. That happens a lot! Then he said, " I thought their were 2 goslings (we hatched them ourselves!) in that pen" So I run out to check-not only were those two murdered, but the last of my Silkies and all but 2 of the button quail! I was so sad! We hatched all the quail too! We rescued 2 scared little buttons and brought them inside still in shock.
Now, I was on a mission! I asked friends to borrow traps; we only had one! So they loaned them to me, and I set them last night. Baited them with sardines too! Someone said raccoons can't resist them! My sweet hubby built me a nice night time hutch for the Courtnix Quail. I locked them up, put the cats inside, and waited. I could hardly sleep! I went out after breakfast, and guess what? Those mean critters can resist sardines!!! I'm sure they are still full from the night befores raid. Not a critter one in the traps! But- no dead birds either! I was happy about that! So, we'll try again tonight. I'm determined to catch them! I'll let you know the outcome...Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment