Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Pot Belly Piglet!




Who knew they were Sooooo....cute! I really wish they could come up with one that stays tiny and cute! Maybe I'll work on that! Ha!
Hannah got him with some of her money from 4-H. We found a breeder, and after a few missed chances of making the drive, her hubby accidentally sold Hanna's piggy! Never fear, the breeder said, I have a new litter and she can have her choice! So we make the hour and a half drive, with her best friend by her side. We arrived and got to see the mama and tiny babies running around! They were remarkably fast to be so small! But the guy caught the one she wanted. Talk about a pair of lungs! It was almost deafening! Luckily, he stopped before we got in the van to drive home. He was pretty much in shock from then on. We felt so sorry for the little guy! Ripped away from his mother and litter-mates, and as we found out, never handled before that day!
It took awhile (like 2 days) to get use to us, and really didn't want to eat or be picked up! This was very frustrating for Hannah too, and she just wanted to snuggle with him! He kept her up MOST of the night, and they were both worn out by morning! I took over for Hannah when she finally fell asleep-
Next was the challenge to feed the poor thing. He wanted nothing to do with a baby bottle that was for sure. For the next full day, he really only sipped a bit of water! By the 3rd day, he would eat a tiny amount off a shallow plate. That evening he got diarrhea, like everything I had read said he would. We've added the Gerber baby rice cereal to his formula and a tiny amount of Pepto too. I've not seen a lot of improvement yet, but I'm hoping he will start getting better soon!
On the bright side, he is warming up to us nicely! He will come sometimes when he hears us calling him. He also runs from one dog bed to the other to find the one he want for that nap!
The other night we were looking and calling for him, but he didn't come out, so we just figured he was sleeping soundly and would come out when he woke up. I was in my bedroom, and checked in on the kittens at the end of our bed. They were so cute! One was laying on his back curled up next to the other one. I snapped a couple of pictures, and when I checked them out on the camera, I noticed something I didn't recognize in the pic too. I looked back down at the kittens, and saw the piglet snuggled up next to the white kitten! Just then, the kitten woke up, and looked at me and then the pig, and yawned! I snapped the picture, and checked it out, and the kitten seemed to be yelling that there was a pig in his bed!!! I thought it was so cute!
We are injoying him so far, and Hannah picked a cool name for him...Sheldon!

No comments:

Post a Comment